Been "away" for a few years. Coming back. Whats new?

New here? Say hello to the community!

Been "away" for a few years. Coming back. Whats new?

by mortexic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 am

Hi all,

I used to be pretty active here on the server back in the 1.7 days and the "old continent" days.
I've been away since the "new continent" was actually new. I think it's been roughly 4 or 5 years. I logged in over the weekend and had a chat with a few folks, it looks like a lot is different.

What is the "continent" people are generally active on now? Is it "pandora" /pp ?

If I want to start building fresh, is pandora the "continent" I want to find some space on?

The forums don't look as active as I remember, is the server itself generally still pretty active?

Does the server still prevent creeper grief?

Anything else I might want-need to know after having been away for so long?
mortexic
Resident

Re: Been "away" for a few years. Coming back. Whats new?

by ShadyVale » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:53 pm

Howdy, mortexic, and welcome back. I enjoyed the chat the other night. I always like hearing about stuff before my time on the server. :)

The random /home for new players has been putting people around Pandora for as long as I remember, so that is where the most building takes place from them. Sometimes older players return to the server and continue building on what they had started on other continents. Or in Irish's case, he was recently doing some land clearing on the old continent in preparation of a new project.

As far as server activity, summer months are slightly busier than during school months, but still not anywhere near the way I've heard it used to be in the old days. Also, when we have this long of a delay in an MC version update, the activity drops off.
As to the forum activity, I haven't seen them very active at all during my time here. I think partially it is because of the low server activity, but also part of it can be the medium is kind of out dated. I remember the days when these bulletin board type forums were the big thing, now a days it seems everyone jumps on the bandwagons of the next new thing that comes out.

And then we come to creeper grief. lol. Eve can be weird in restoring that damage. Sometimes it gets restored (although redstone, buttons, and pressure plates can still have issues), and then sometimes it doesn't. Voting for the server will let you use the voter command /revert to use to fix recent creeper explosions though.

Alot has changed in the game since 1.7, Mob combat has changed (i.e. spamming the sword does less damage, strike then wait a second to strike again). New blocks were added. Ocean monuments (in deep oceans) and Igloos (in snow biomes) were added. You can hold an item in your left hand (off hand) like a shield or such. End cities (can get to them thru the end in /mine), with their new blocks and items to find in chests (enchanted armor/tools, mending books, and elytra wings), were added. Putting mending on tools and armor lets them auto repair as you gain XP (take off fully repaired mending armor and hold a mending tool in your off hand to get the tool to repair faster). New villager types were added. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, so hopefully others can add to this if they can think of things I missed.

See you around the server/chat 8-)
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." -The Doctor
ShadyVale

by mortexic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm

I forgot all about the /revert command. I vaguely remember when I left that someone had _just_ switched to that after having turned creeper griefing on or something. Good tip.
mortexic
Resident

by mortexic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Are the continents still on the same overall server map?
Is it possible to walk for 6 hours and get from one to the other, so to speak?

Also what are the outer coords map limits these days?
mortexic
Resident

by maxmmm1501 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 pm

no way I was just looking at your forum account yesterday because I had searched for all posts containing the word "subway" as I'm currently trying to map and connect the subways of kreatious.

As for creeper greif: If someone else explodes a creeper on your property, itll be fixed. If you explode it on your own property, you will need to use /revert or fix it yourself. /revert is a voter command, which means if you vote one day you can use it twice that day. Vote again later that day to get to use it again. /revert is special, however, in that you cant use it RIGHT after you vote, making you vote daily instead of only voting when you want to revert something.

As for map size, it goes from X and Z -5000 to X and Z 15000, so it is 20000x20000 blocks large. All four continents are on the same map, so yes you can walk between them

a minature explination of the map would be

Where OC is the old continent (version 1.0? not sure), NC is the new continent (version 1.4? not sure)
DP and LP are both pandora (version 1.7). DP is dark pandora and LP is light pandora, this doesnt really mean anything anymore but thats what theyre called. (random /homes used to only lead to light pandora, but this has been changed since pandora was added, thats where the naming comes from)

OC is from X and Z -5000 to X and Z 5000
NC is from X -5000 and Z 5000 to X 5000 and Z 15000
Regular (Light) Pandora is from X 5000 and Z 5000 to X 15000 and Z 15000
Dark Pandora is from X 5000 and Z -5000 to X 15000 and Z 5000
So, OC NC DP and LP are all 10000 by 10000 blocks, although pandora is frequently talked about as one continent as it was generated all at once, and really is just one continent with two regions

OC is /oc, NC is /nc OR /spawn, Pandora is /pp

ALSO, look at the map I made! (or ices too)
http://www.kreatious.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3557
maxmmm1501

by mortexic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Awesome info, thanks for the detailed response. Exactly what I was looking for.

Yea, I had/have a real passion for subway systems in minecraft (not as big a fan of overhead-monorails) but back when I was just starting to get serious into the Interail project (I keep wanting to call it the "new interail" to distinguish it from the very expansive 5-lined network I built on the now-ancient 1.7 server map) I started running into serious problems with tunnel flooding, and running into other people's stuff underground and needing to SERIOUSLY re-route huge sections of tunnel. Glad to hear the dream is still alive of having a below-ground transit.

Good tips for the creeper grief. When I "came back" I was saddened to see huge portions of the city I built polluted with creeper damage. Looked like someone whacked it with the London Blitz lol. Most of the damage was too long ago to know if it was intentional grief, or just creepers being creepers. WAY back in the day, kreatious had creeper block damage turned off, took me a few minutes to realize that it was turned on at some point.

Also, that map is amazing! I could spend hours pouring over that!!
mortexic
Resident

by maxmmm1501 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:54 am

Hey I just updated the map I linked earlier as I realized I hadnt updated it in a long time, Its nearly done now

Also moved to introductions from general
maxmmm1501

Return to Introductions