Should we migrate from TS to Discord?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 14

Discord

by pyrusbrawler30 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:40 pm

All right, i think its time we have this discussion. I know its been had here and there, but never really documented and evaluated. For years, Kreatious has had the TeamSpeak server as you all know. Likewise, it has been rather dead. In my own experience, I stopped using TS years ago, as this was the only server I ever used it for. The communities are moving, or have moved once again, but now to Discord.

I'd like to have a discussion on people's thoughts as to why we should, or shouldnt migrate from TS to Discord. Personally, I find it has cleaner audio clarity, easier means of use, simpler management, better screensharing, and smoother bot integration than TS or Skype ever did. Similarly, its difficult to find a single community, subreddit, or youtube channel that doesnt already use discord, leading me into the next point.

Userbase is key, and it helps any community thrive. I'll be honest, I never inteded to install TS again. nobody on the server minus a few use it, and I believe that's in part to the fact that the masses aren't on TS anymore. I believe it would be far simpler to initiate and grow a community in a way that is easy for others to access, in line with what they are already using.

Security is a logical concern. Discord servers are cloud based, and while this does make editing the server on the fly much easier, it does bring up the question of its security. I won't do a deep dive here, but if you care to brush up on Discord's privacy policy, please feel free to here: https://discordapp.com/privacy Reading through the statement reveals no more than any other program or app. In today's world we already have so much data about ourselves out there that its hard to believe that using Discord would make a Minecraft Community any less secure. Common online security practices realistically are more than enough for our own purposes.

I'd like to hear the community on this one. Is it time we update and move with the masses to a more modern solution, or do we stick to what we have and leave the Teamspeak server to continue to gether dust? Let's hear your thoughts and think it over.
pyrusbrawler30
Resident

Re: Discord

by neicey69 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:11 pm

Doesn't really matter to me, but the only real downside I see of Discord is security, as you've mentioned. Discord can be used to share screenshots, updates, or anything else through text (and keep the posts there, yada yada), whereas in Teamspeak you'd have to be connected to the channel to view links or other shared things. It seems like more of the Kreatious community (other than older players and/or some of the staff) uses Discord. Many of these players might be more familiar with it and more comfortable on that platform, instead of a VOIP platform that they're not used to and might feel pressured into using.

TLDR: I'm on middle ground. Doesn't matter which we use, but playerbase (as mentioned in OP) leans more towards Discord which tells me it might be easier to use.
neicey69
Veteran

by SirDukem » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:03 pm

I think discord is a great idea. It's a platform for all kinds of gaming and keeping a healthy population is key to survival.
SirDukem
Veteran

by iballisticbunny6 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:13 am

Like you stated, almost every community has a discord server just because of how convinent it is. I also think that maybe it could help boost the playerbase due to just how popular discord is. I personally would like to use it because Teamspeak is just really confusing to me, compared to the simplicity and sleekness of the discord interface.
iballisticbunny6
Resident

by lucasmetro » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:57 pm

I'm a big fan of discord and feel it will help grow the userbase by having a dedicated discord with mods
lucasmetro

Return to General Discussion