List of mods that are allowed / considered hacks

Need help check here. Have advice for other players? Post here.

List of mods that are allowed / considered hacks

by demalition90 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:22 am

There's alot of mods for minecraft and some are questionable as to whether or not there allowed so i decided to make a list and have people add mods they know are allowed / aren't allowed

ALLOWED

Optifine
Rei's minimap
toggle-able shift (and sprint? post about it i think as long as it doesent add speed its should be OK)
Texture pack switcher
sonic ether's unbelievable shaders
Cape mod's
inv tweaks

QUESTION-ABLE

world downloader <-- allows you to download the server's world .. only the bits u visit while its active and doesent give the seed... in questionable cause it could be used with singleplayer mods to find precious ores/locations

Too Many Items <-- in singleplayer it spawns items but on the server it doesent work... i was told right clicking a item in the TMI GUI will tell you how to craft it and if thats true its really usefull... mods please tell me if its allowed to have even if its main purpose is useless/a hack i've tested it it doesent seem to show me the recipe's

NOT ALLOWED

Fly hacks
X-Ray hacks
griefing software
Smart moving (seen as a flyhack)
Move Plus (seen as a flyhack AND speed hack)
X-ray texture packs
hacked clients of any kind

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

please suggest mod's to add / discuss if mods should me moved to a different category
Last edited by demalition90 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

demalition90

Re: List of mods that are allowed / considered hacks

by Irish_Ninja » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:26 am

The only one I find really borderline is World Downloader. Now, I'll go right out and say that I've used the mod on multiple occasions to help plan out things for my town. It can be a useful tool in that respect, as you can figure out what looks good, without wasting valuable resources tweaking things and/or completely removing them, if you find the final product doesn't look good.

However, the point still stands that it's a risky mod to be deemed "allowed." And I can most certainly see it being abused if we said it was fine to use. In my opinion, it's just as bad as using an xray mod, IF you use it irresponsibly (and there are ways of knowing if you do so). But if you use it in constructive ways, as I've used it, I wouldn't object to it's use.

These points being said, I think that, for the best interest of the server, World Downloader should be against the rules, simply due to the amount of players who would abuse it in proportion to the amount of players who would use it responsibly. Then again, that's just my opinion. Definitely worth a discussion though. Your guys' thoughts?
^Click the images to apply!
Irish_Ninja

by kieranchocian » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Before I say this: I have never used/heard of world downloader.

Even if people do decide to use it for bad purposed such as finding diamonds, isn't it still as easily traceable as x-raying? This is because you are still digging tunnels that are leading straight to diamonds/other ores, with no real pattern to them. If this happens, isn't is still easy to see that they were cheating, giving them a ban?

I would like to use this mod to try and see how things'll be in my home, too.
kieranchocian
Veteran

by jack_addy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Rea's mini map is another allowed mod/hack. :P

jack_addy

by demalition90 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:39 pm

@jack rei's minimap is already up there as allowed

@ the other two i agree it's insanely usefull for planning for when the server's down and its just fun.. but if someone uses like the bacteria mod then writes down the coords of all the dia's or something similar then it can be banned... and yes there will be a pattern but this pattern can be blurred by remembering the general spot and then looking for it legit.. also there's patterns in Xraying but that doesent make them allowed

also thoughts on TMI?

demalition90

by strider1997 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:14 am

Sonic ethers shader mod is an allowed one.

As for the world downloader, it does sound extremely useful (never heard of it either). There have been many occasions in which I have built something really big then get angry at myself for not making it in a different location by my house or in my town. However, I can see the majority of players using it to cheat, so unless some one has an idea to get around that I say NO.

And For the TMI mod, it sounds pretty much the same as having the minecraft wiki page open in your minecraft window so I see nothing wrong with that.
strider1997
Resident

by jack_addy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:04 pm

I believe MCpatcher is allowed also :I

jack_addy

by pyrusbrawler30 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:42 pm

capes and INVtweaks

capes: need i see more?

INVtweaks: short for inventory tweaks. this mod allows yu to instantly sort you're inventory and/or chests with the click of a button. it's very useful
pyrusbrawler30
Resident

by demalition90 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:23 pm

@strider added it to list

@addy idt thats a mod that's more like a dumbed down magiclauncher

@pyrus added, i actually use a cape mod it's black with the MC fire sprite and FLAME CLAN along teh bottom, sadly that was my old comp i lost the file.. i should redownload that mod =o added

demalition90

by JUSTRON123 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:58 pm

Nodus isnt allowed from what i know.
Also what is the toggleable shift thing it sounds interesting
JUSTRON123
Resident

Next

Return to Help Desk and FAQ