Free Food For Noobs Program

Need help check here. Have advice for other players? Post here.

by Neko92 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:48 am

FFFNP

I noticed alot of new players or even current ones sometimes need food. Whether they just joined, just left the end or really just aren't prepared. So continuing on a concept from the days of old (Old Continent) I built a machine that would feed the noobs of Kreatious!

I ask that you share the location of the machine to new players when they ask for food. Help me, Help Noobs.

How does it work?

The Machine will dispense food each time you press the button but with a cool-down so it will not allow players to spam the button to steal all the food. The current machine operates using an approximate 3.5 minute cool down. This means between each press of the button, players must wait that time before they can get more food.

But I don't want to count 3.5 minutes

You don't have to, there is a light below the dispensers letting players know when it's ready to dispense. Simply put. If the light is on, its good to go!

Did you hack for all that food?

No, I talked over the plan for this machine with GG1LL3S. He offered to sponsor the machine by donating all the food himself with his massive potato farm, and various automated ones. Silentkill9841 has since donated food and refilled as well.
There is donation chests behind the machine. Primarily collecting Baked Potatos and Melons.

So... Where is it?

Located just South East of /spawn (Using F3, Head east till you're out of the spawn pool. Turn Right heading South. It's inside the large glass building with the blue X's. On the right wall.

This is a great idea! How did you think of it?

I actually didn't. In the OC or Old Continent in the spawn there was a Free Food machine that Zerg made. The only problems is when the chunk was unloaded (when no one is in it basically) the red stone that ran the machine, would cease to work. I offered to improve on the machine he had with the agreement it would have a delay so players couldn't spam the button and take all the food, but to no luck because the red stone would stop working still. The project was then abandoned.

When Hoppers were added in Minecraft 1.5 it was made possible to have clocks that would not stop working. These involved hoppers being fed into eachother with a comparator next to one of the hoppers. With some basic red stone know how and some instructionals, I made this machine that does not stop working when the chunk is unloaded.

Note: I use the term "Noobs" as in New Players. To the server or minecraft. Not meant to belittle anyone, in anyway. Sorry If anyone is offended :cry:
Neko92
Veteran

Re: Free Food For Noobs Program

by GG1LL3S » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:56 am

hoppers where introduced on 1.5 :3
GG1LL3S
Veteran Donor

by Neko92 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:07 pm

*Moved machine out of the spawn shop. Now in the large building with Blue X's behind the shop it was in.
*Updated red stone circuit slightly so it uses one piston thus reducing noise pollution.
*Added Donation chests behind machine. Giving GG1LL and SilentKill access. (to help refill if needed)
*Updated post with new machine front and location images.

Help Me, Help Noobs.
Neko92
Veteran

by Neko92 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:31 am

CRITICAL UPDATE

Sometime over new years the Free food machine broke.

Effectively the button jammed in the on position. A redstone block for the hopper clock got duped leaving all the hoppers to empty all the food and a piston somehow disappeared and got replaced by a quartz block which is used adjacent to the piston to active whole circuit. (Disclaimer, I will justly burn the duped blocks/items)

In Short. Someone selfishly stole all the food. (Honour system, amirite?) Albeit not against the rules since it was a thing for free food after all. It is still a really selfish thing to do, so thanks for that.

I've locked out everyone (except ShadyVale who thankfully restocked it the past year, and mods) till I can fix the problem and restock. May set up a temporary small machine with just fish as it seems to be the most abundant food available on such short notice.

Donations accepted at the chests to the side of free food machine, simple right click the sign with the food in your inventory.

Redstoners Welcome to submit designs. At some point I may upload a Schematic or SP world download with mine for dissection.
Neko92
Veteran

by ShadyVale » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Neko, it was still dumping food when I went to restock it on the 1st.
I was able to save most stuff and store it at my place.
The only things that were completely lost were all the bread and half the pumpkin pie.

It appeared from the logs that a creeper had exploded either outside the building but close to the machine,
or followed someone into the building. Eve has trouble fixing the redstone and button on the machine,
for some reason that I don't know. So after the anti-grief "repairs" the machine, it dumps everything.
Unfortunately, this is happening more often.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." -The Doctor
ShadyVale

by Neko92 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:58 am

Thank you for saving it. I saw yours and another player's name in the logs several times, so it was a toss up who got it. x.X
So I bury majority of the circuit so explosion cannot effect it then? Yes. Still need a better fail-safe so they cant drain so easily, specially if it is happening more often. Will fix it for now if you wanna refill.

Edit:
- re-added [everyone]
- Added simple Kill switch on side next to donation chests. Its a simple string of redstone across the hoppers to turn them off till It can be fixed. I added [Vtn+] so hopefully if any vtns see it dispensing everything they can disable it and replace the food (remove from free food chest and click on corresponding sign).
- added bread
- added pumpkin pies
Neko92
Veteran

Return to Help Desk and FAQ