Idea for grief protection toggle

Idea for grief protection toggle

by Cyberia78 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:13 pm

First, let me say that Kreatious is awesome! With the current system of grief protection, I feel very comfortable inviting people to visit my home, confident that my stuff will not be stolen or griefed. :)
However, there's something I've noticed about playing on a map with no teleports to players: it can take a LONG time to visit someone's house, especially if they don't live near a waypoint. Now, I don't think this in itself is a problem. I like that you actually have to travel; it makes the worlds feel more real, and it makes minecarts and boats quite useful. But you can't always travel by those rapid methods; most long distance travel is accomplished on foot. In the real world, trails and roads get made to facilitate overland travel. In Minecraft, you don't need to worry about getting stuck in the mud, but it can be easy to lose your bearings, and checking the dynamic map every couple minutes can be tedious. However, with the current grief protection, building a long road is kind of rude: you're claiming an awful lot of territory. Real roads get changed all the time to better handle traffic or allow for new buildings. Currently, if my road is in someone's way, they'll have to try to catch me online so i can /allow them to dig up the road, or just dig it up and hope they don't get banned. But don't worry, I have a solution!

:idea: What if Zerg made it so you could choose whether the blocks you placed were protected or not? This way, one could build "public works" such as roads, trails, railways, canals, bridges, etc., which could easily be destroyed to make way for new structures. Yes, they would be susceptible to random griefing, but so what? Most griefers are not going to bother digging up miles of roadway, and the main purpose is to make it easier to find your way around; a missing block here or there (or even a small section) won't really affect that. I'm sure people will think of other reasons to use unprotected blocks, and it would still show in the log who placed the unprotected ones, so they wouldn't be extra useful for griefing or anything ;)

Anyway, what do you think? Comments, suggestions, and trolls welcome below.
Cyberia78

Re: Idea for grief protection toggle

by ChubbyPikachu25 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Actaually, this sounds awesome. Its not cheating with teleports, maybe /toggrief to turn it off? Nice Idea, Cyberia.
ChubbyPikachu25
Resident

by Cyberia78 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:15 am

Thanks, Chubbeh! :)
Cyberia78

by Neko92 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:45 am

The concept exists... But is pretty much only used by mod+ purely because it can be abused easily obviously. I have no doubt Zerg can maybe alter the code to make it work for individuals.

I know it will make modding harder because it will add more variables. Like having to check if the grief logs were disabled by that player. Which also leads to the problem of land being able to have multiple owners. They'll all have to disable the grief logs to, in your situation allow people to dig it up. Then if anyone is allowed to dig it up, then how do you determine whats a grief or not? If you allowed anyone or "the public" to dig it up, you're basically forfeiting yours rights to the land, which makes destroying it perfectly fine, assuming it does not violate other rules. (ie 25/50 blocks from players, 100 from cities)

I like the idea, I'm confident Zerg can code it. Just can't see it existing anytime soon. (Maybe with more donations we can upgrade, freeing up his time as well as making server able to handle more plugins. Just saying...)
Neko92
Veteran

by JUSTRON123 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:41 am

I like this idea
JUSTRON123
Resident

by Cyberia78 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:24 am

Neko92 Wrote:The concept exists... But is pretty much only used by mod+ purely because it can be abused easily obviously.

Not obvious to me... explain how it would be abused?

Neko92 Wrote: I know it will make modding harder because it will add more variables. Like having to check if the grief logs were disabled by that player. Which also leads to the problem of land being able to have multiple owners. They'll all have to disable the grief logs to, in your situation allow people to dig it up.

If they've all disabled protection, the land doesn't have any owners. That's the whole point. Unless... are you saying the protection is inseperable from the log?

Neko92 Wrote: Then if anyone is allowed to dig it up, then how do you determine whats a grief or not? If you allowed anyone or "the public" to dig it up, you're basically forfeiting yours rights to the land, which makes destroying it perfectly fine, assuming it does not violate other rules. (ie 25/50 blocks from players, 100 from cities)

I'm getting the impression through trying to answer your post that the log-pick function is somehow inextricably commingled with the anti-grief system. I sort of assumed they were each able to stand alone, but i can see how my idea would be difficult in that case. Anyone have any ideas? Couldn't there just be a flag attached to each log entry saying if protection was on or off when it was placed?

And again, forfeiting the builders' rights to the land is the whole point of my idea. I don't want my roads to get in anyone's way. :roll:

Thanks for the input, Neko :)
Cyberia78

by iAustralian » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:27 am

Haha. I'm going to say No. By implementing it, if that were to happen, you assume it will stop arguments seeing as the Player must allow blocks to be broken - I couldn't stop laughing at that! Haha. How wrong you are. You would also need to choose which section of land you want to be 'public', a lot of extra hassle. Now, what exactly would a Road leading to a House do? It doesn't add to the Server, and frankly just gives those lazy ass' the opportunity to infect the outer reaches of the Map. There are already Roads leading to the Map Borders, all you've got to do is follow that until you're close to your destination, not that difficult and does pretty much what you're wanting. There are other things that could be done with it, such as public City venues ect. but, honestly, they'll just attract Greifers.. And, as Neko said, it'll be near impossible to find a legitimate reason to Ban someone thats Greifed a public area, because noone owns it.
[[Insert Inspirational Quote Here]]

Origin ID: vMrLegacy (Currently only have Battlefield 3, next game will most likely be MoH: WF, so if you have either, add me)
Steam: Colon-Apostrophe-Capitalized-C (Long story, just add it)
iAustralian

by Shadowofrsr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 pm

While the idea itself is a good one the problem comes up when a player wanting to be a no decides to dig up a large section of the road to build something there but they don't allow it to be public there by claiming huge sections of that structure and obstructing others from being able to do what you suggested. Also I could bet that if the idea was implemented that griefers or people wanting to troll really bad would take the time to dig up the entire road and re lay it down but no longer public so that they have now claimed that entire area and you can't do anything about it unless a mod comes and fixes the protections in the area.
Shadowofrsr
Resident

by demalition90 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:57 pm

You underestimate griefers... they'll happily dig up a 1000+ block road just to make someone mad...

but the concept is a good one... maybe if it was tweaked to be able to give ownership (/share neytiri maybe?) but that would need to be accompanied with a way to select what you're sharing... say you own a town and want to /share a lot so the occupant can build, what's stopping the occupant from griefing your structures now that it's all /shared

demalition90

by Cyberia78 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:32 am

iAustralian Wrote:Haha. I'm going to say No. By implementing it, if that were to happen, you assume it will stop arguments seeing as the Player must allow blocks to be broken... You would also need to choose which section of land you want to be 'public', a lot of extra hassle.

I don't quite see your point here. I'm saying that, if a player chooses to build something and that he doesn't care if it gets griefed, he can turn off protection, build the thing, turn protection back on, and continue on his merry way.

iAustralian Wrote:Now, what exactly would a Road leading to a House do? It doesn't add to the Server, and frankly just gives those lazy ass' the opportunity to infect the outer reaches of the Map. There are already Roads leading to the Map Borders, all you've got to do is follow that until you're close to your destination, not that difficult and does pretty much what you're wanting.

I think it would add to the server. But you're entitled to your opinion.
By "those lazy a__" I assume you mean griefers... but griefing is solved on Kreatious, remember? And the four main roads, while very useful, do not extend toward the corners of the map (where I happen to live), therefor not really solving my main purpose: to enable people to make their location easier to access. What's the point of building something awesome if you're not going to show off a little? :roll:

iAustralian Wrote:There are other things that could be done with it, such as public City venues ect. but, honestly, they'll just attract Greifers.. And, as Neko said, it'll be near impossible to find a legitimate reason to Ban someone thats Greifed a public area, because noone owns it.

Again... have you no faith in the Mighty Zerg? I truly don't see why you're so worried about griefers...
You seem to be misinterpreting my main concept: that is, I want to build things and then not worry about it if someone changes or destroys it :P
Cyberia78

Next

Return to Archives