[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
kreatious.net • View topic - A copyright for Kreatious

A copyright for Kreatious

A copyright for Kreatious

by limabear » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:18 pm

I know this should go to the serious discussion but I can't post there.

Kreatious.net is an amazing and respected community, and it deserves to be protected. Especially from those evil .com kreatious devils :twisted:. Anyway, I really do think we should get http://www.kreatious.net copyrights. So have a look here: https://secure-b.copyrightservice.co.uk/forms/register/online.
limabear

Re: A copyright for Kreatious

by kenny0011 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Urg... You know how much it costs to copyright stuff?

At least 3 months donations
kenny0011
Donor

by limabear » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Still, it needs to be done. I don't want to shut down kreatious.com, but there is a massive chance of them getting a copyright, and us having to change a whole lot of things .... which would also cost money.
limabear

by kenny0011 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:49 pm

Its stalemate really...

Neither .com or .net can afford to copyright the name "kreatious"

The types of work eligible for copyright protection include a literary, dramatic, artistic or musical work, the typographical arrangement of a published edition, a sound recording, a film, or a broadcast. - kreatious, as far as im aware of, falls into a "non-profit organization", meaning we would need it to be trade-marked instead.

According to UK laws, it costs £170 -£200 to TM a name (about $400). It would then take a further 6-9 months for said trade mark to take place. For some quick calculations, if .net got a "profit" of $30 a month, it would take 14 months to "raise" enough money for said copyright.

Im taking the assumption that .com aren't taking in "massive" amounts of donations, due to the fact they only need about $3 a month to keep them running, so, unless gogyst and unboxer win the lottery, .com won't be getting trade-mark for.... a long time.

So it comes down to this... in the next year with the "excess" donation, do we want to spend $400 on improving the server quality/explanding, or do we spend it on something that _realistically_ we do not need.

Have fun reading that.
kenny0011
Donor

by FSXlover » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Overall that's just a terrible idea.
No explaining needed.
FSXlover
Veteran

by malandrix_bunny » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 pm

I agree with fsx, unless you sneak into a lottery company take the winning card and give it to zerg, kreatious, most likely, will not have its own trade-mark, or copywright.
malandrix_bunny
Resident

by limabear » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Sad face >-----> D-:
limabear

by kieranchocian » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:25 pm

kieranchocian
Veteran

by SirDukem » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:34 pm

I think it's not so much of a cold war :P the .net side doesn't really care, and .com is just so angry that somebody would continue playing minecraft with the same community. They have troubles raising $3 for the forums, and we don't really care. So a trademark won't happen, and we'll continue playing, and they'll get over it.

If somebody wants to spend $400 on a trademark, regardless of who it is, all the more power to them. And I feel sorry for them wasting $400 :P
SirDukem
Veteran

by eli7613 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Yep theres no need to make a trademark since both community's cant afford to buy it and even if one dos the worst thing that can happen is changing the server name...
Image Image
eli7613
Resident

Next

Return to Archives