[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
kreatious.net • View topic - Idea to keep out morons

Idea to keep out morons

Idea to keep out morons

by JamesBondage77 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:33 pm

aka; Those who dont read rules, just rush into game to grief and whatnot.

This is not an original idea, Ive seen it elsewhere months ago, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The basic idea is: When you start the game, in /rules room, one of the signs says to shout "zergling" (random word..") This wouldnt be the last sign, it would be randomly in the middle, to prove they were actually reading the rules. This would trigger an event to tp them from /rules to /spawn, but could only be done once. This would allow everyone to see when/if the new person actually read the rules to the point where the hidden exit phrase was listed and reward the new player with praise in chats because they actually read the rules for once, instead of just sprinting to the last sign and doing what it says.

(My evil side says, have the last sign give a fake command, to publicly show they in fact did NOT read the rules leading up to it.)
JamesBondage77

Re: Idea to keep out morons

by harshlife » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 pm

I'd make a set of rooms each one with a scenario based upon a rule.

Rule 1: English only in general chat
Door A: Yes, ok ---> On to rule 2.
Door B: Oui, tres bien ---> Firey lava death ---> Die ---> Respawn ----> Back to square one.

I've been called a sadist.
Highly Inactive at the moment.
I can be found here though. If you sign up, message me and I'll get you started.
harshlife

by Neko92 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:54 am

I'm sure your a nice person inside... just sadistic cause you've had a harsh life... *troll face*

There used to be a thing zerg was working on like... last summer where people had to stay in spawn area (for the rules) for like a minute or else it would automatically send you back to spawn. Dont know if he ever went anywhere with that... but... seems like helpful thing, to keep them there.
Neko92
Veteran

by strider1997 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 am

/me really likes all the ideas here.
strider1997
Resident

by Irish_Ninja » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:40 am

I've visited and played on a few servers, and I've seen what works and what doesn't work when welcoming new players, and introducing them to the rules.

One method is similar to Harshlife's idea;
The player starts in a room with all the rules, then proceeds down a hall, to a sign with a question. To answer Yes, the player drops into a hole on the right, if No, the left. The correct option drops the player into a similar room, and they answer another question; the wrong answer drops them into a room with a sign they can right-click to be teleported to the beginning of the quiz. At the end, there could be a sign they can right click, and the server will randomly generate a word for them to type; after typing this world, the test is completed, and they will be teleported to spawn.
^ until the test is completed, a player cannot edit blocks. They cannot use /spawn, /home, or other teleport commands until their first time completing the quiz. We can also keep players in a separate, non-global chat until they leave the test area, to prevent the players who log in and just spam obscenities in global. Vtns and mods will be able to view/speak in this chat, and answer questions if the player has any trouble.

Another method is to do the above ^ in the chat window, by typing "/quiz". This allows the player to stay in front of the ruleboard as they are asked automated questions. Typing "yes" or "no", or given multiple choices to choose from, to complete the quiz. The player may or may not be confined to the room containing the rules, but will not be able to edit blocks until the quiz has been completed.
^Click the images to apply!
Irish_Ninja

by harshlife » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:45 am

..Dropping down holes and clicking to reset.
Burning to death in lava for your failures is just more simple :p

But I do think its a good idea, I dont like Whitelist applications, theyre boring and need too much monitoring. A quick screening would be good. Would just need some man-hours to make really.
I can be found here though. If you sign up, message me and I'll get you started.
harshlife

by aceflamingo23 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 pm

nah man that would give the people at the top too much power, and unless it is RON at the top, noone should have too much power.
aceflamingo23

by McCoy1996 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:18 am

I like the idea... Contracts!
McCoy1996
Veteran

by cruiserman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:45 am

I like tacos. Why you no like tacos?
http://imgur.com/ayVDmPq<< zerg
cruiserman
Veteran

by harshlife » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:04 am

Possibly.
Downside would be, what happens when theres no Vtn+ online?
I know thats rarer now, but it still happens during the afternoonsfor me (~2pm GMT)

Unless we gave the job to Wall-E

possible issue is Wall-E might not distinguish between "(expletive expletive) Jaberwocky (Expletive) stupid machine" I.E. the "morons"
and "I am supposed to say Jaberwocky". the rest.
harshlife

Next

Return to Archives