We don't need an SSD. We need. Moar RAM!

We don't need an SSD. We need. Moar RAM!

by alan_x_zhu » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:21 am

Many of you do not know what a RAMdisk is, or what it does. A ramdisk creates a virtual hard drive in your memory. This means that the memory is not usable, and is set aside for the virtual hard drive. Since a hard drive is much slower that memory in your computer (it's mechanical, that's why you hear clicks), running the server on the RAM itself (the server files) will increase performance. While RAMdisks simply require smartness using the command line in Linux, you can use a program that does it for you. You can choose the size of the RAMdisk, and it will make one for you.

The one problem with RAMdisks is that when power is cut, everything on the ramdisk is gone. forever. period. RAM only works when it is powered, unlike hard drives or solid-state drives that can retain informations after power is cut. A way around this is by using a UPS (uninterruptable power source) which is basically a giant battery box hooked up to the wall, that supplies power to the server when there is a power outage. Battery life is about 30 minutes ( I know, terrible) but hopefully it will last just long enough through a temporary outage. If it doesn't, the server will have time to shut down and save all the files before power is lost.

Another thing I would like to add, is have a script/program that syncs the server files from the RAMdisk onto a normal hard drive for periodic saves and backups. This way, if something goes buggy in the RAMdisk, there will be a slow, but physical hard drive backup. The use of an SSD for storage is completely eliminated, because a RAMdisk compared to one of the fastest SSD's out there (costing excess of thousands) is about 50-150 times faster.

Speed of average DRAM: 2-20GB/s
Speed of average/fast SSD: 50-200MB/s

(NOTE: "Mb" Means megabits per second, while "MB" (big "B") means megabytes in a second! There is a big difference!
1 megabyte = 8 megabits

I discovered a problem, where the server map size can range huge… probably 10GB by itself, at a minimum. We can solve this problem… either with a special caching method, where the core server and the plugins are run in the RAM ( I know RAM is used for this, but storing the core components and certain chunks of common map pieces "like spawn, big cities, etc." can be stored in the ramdisk. I know it normally seems counterproductive- cache is in the RAM by itself, but if you stored the entire server file(s) inside the ram, everything will be faster.

Also, SSD have something called "cell wear", which basically means the ability to store information in flash memory (solid state) will diminish over time, because flash memory is essentially "burning" silicon to store it without power (think like a burnt scar). The newer and smaller SSD technology gets, the MORE UNRELIABLE
SSD's actually become. True, a hard drive could have physical damage, but as long as the physical moving parts stay intact, the platter will never wear out.

It may or may not be a good idea, but RAM should be cheap nowadays. In the future, the reliability of SSD's will continue to go down, and this may be a feasible option.

Good day zerg. Go think! :)
alan_x_zhu

Re: We don't need an SSD. We need. Moar RAM!

by mattme1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Well Alan you probaly don't know much about computers because you can only stick 4 sticks of ram in a standard computer. And they are more expensive, and they lose all the data after computer turns off.
mattme1

Location: Oregon... You wouldnt need to know if you werent stalking me

by alan_x_zhu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:39 am

Well the motherboard we're running on right now (the server) has more than 4 ram slots. Even so, there are 8gb stick modules (which cost about 50 bucks right now each, price will go down by next year) I stated they are more expensive. Price goes down. Ram becomes cheap. 4gb of ram a year or two ago cost 100 bucks. nowadays they cost 25 bucks. I also stated that they lose their power. Which is why the post is twice as long. To state what to do about that problem. Read my post carefully before you trash my thinking with ignorant trash, please. There are so many of you who say without thinking. I can assure you that half the information I've said here you cannot understand/make out what I am saying. No hard feelings. I want a more intelligent person, such as Zerg, to give me feedback on my idea. What does SODIMM mean to you? DDR3? I would say nothing. No, I am not iAustralian. I do not make "table jokes". (Off topic, I felt like adding that in.)
alan_x_zhu

by jack_addy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:59 am

mattme1 Wrote:Well Alan you probaly don't know much about computers because you can only stick 4 sticks of ram in a standard computer. And they are more expensive, and they lose all the data after computer turns off.

Bro if you have a good computer... you can stick 32 gb in. You probably dont know anything about computers... bro.

Another thing is... I just kinda got in to computers and custom building them and what not but im confused about ssds. Is it really necessary to invest in an SSD Vs a regular drive? I mean it just increases you're boot up speed right.

Im pretty sure im wrong and it does something else but correct me breh.

jack_addy

by malandrix_bunny » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 am

Computers can have more than 1024 gb of ram... unlikely but possible. Yet standard enterprize servers usually go to 128 gb of ram. We dont really need ramdisk on the whole server. Also if you want us to get an upgrade DONATE! Also an ssd can be used to store anythng and in general will be faster than an hdd. Also ram costs ALOT. 2 16 gb stick which tgey do sell is about 250 dollars.
sorry for spelling i on a phone
malandrix_bunny
Resident

by alan_x_zhu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:21 am

An ssd wears out. Average predicted lifespan of one is like 20 years, but that's average consumer light use.
If you think about how many reads/writes would be stressed on one ssd, then one would probably last 2 years at most LOL. SSD's are amazingly slow compared to RAMdisks.
alan_x_zhu

by alan_x_zhu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:21 am

***For our server.
alan_x_zhu

by alan_x_zhu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:23 am

malandrix_bunny Wrote:Computers can have more than 1024 gb of ram... unlikely but possible. Yet standard enterprize servers usually go to 128 gb of ram. We dont really need ramdisk on the whole server. Also if you want us to get an upgrade DONATE! Also an ssd can be used to store anythng and in general will be faster than an hdd. Also ram costs ALOT. 2 16 gb stick which tgey do sell is about 250 dollars.
sorry for spelling i on a phone

Hmm. We can get 4gb sticks, and fill the (i think) 8 slots up, and while we may have 32 gigs already, dedicate half of it to a RAMdisk :) or buy 32GB more ram. easy peasy. We just need money. From little kid's pockets.
Or get 8gb sticks when they become cheaper.
alan_x_zhu

by malandrix_bunny » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 pm

An ssd can last longer than you think. Some google ssds last 5 years... how much you think tgey work? Also stop double posting.
malandrix_bunny
Resident

by mattme1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:23 pm

SSDs do not have mechanical parts so they tend to last longer than reg ones but are expensive when you could get a 2TB hard drive for same as 280gb ssd
mattme1

Location: Oregon... You wouldnt need to know if you werent stalking me

Next

Return to Archives